Friday, May 30, 2008

Acromegaly - how it all began

Exactly one moth ago I was diagnosed first with a giant (5cm) pituitary tumor. After spending a couple of days Internet I self-diagnosed myself with acromegaly. Though a very sad news, it has explained a lot. Oily skin, spreading teeth, tiredness, joint pains, head aches, increased shoe size seemed to be completely unrelated to each other.

By looking at my nose and forehead on old pictures I have now figured out that most probably it started about 8 years ago. It lasted for years and not a single doctor said the word "acromegaly" before. And I have seen many doctors in at least three countries.

My first reaction was depression and re-thinking my life. When I was diagnosed with tumor, I wasn't told whether it was life-threatening or not. I started assuming the worst and reflecting on what have I achieved in this life and what I should do in the remaining time. I even created a "to-do" list of the things I should try to do before I...

I started this blog hoping that that others in a similar situation like myself will find it useful. I found blogs of others on acrmegaly very helpful and felt that not sharing my own experience would be unfair to others.

1 comment:

jo said...

How are you feeling now?
I have just been diagnosed as having acromegaly and am reading about other people's experiences.
I hope you're better now.
Please coniyue with your blog.
regards,
Jo